claytonchilders.com

This blog will grow from my work, at the United Methodist Board of Church and Society, work that I love, connecting the ministry of the church with making a difference in the world. Moving out of the pews into the streets to stand for progressive, faithful change.

Name:
Location: Manassas, Virginia, United States

I work with the United Methodist Church General Board of Church and Society which is located in the United Methodist Building next to the Supreme Court on Capitol Hill. (amazing real estate!) In my work I train church leaders and members about faith and public policy issues and how they can be engaged in the process. I began work at GBCS Feb. 1, 2001. So George Bush has been in his office one week longer than me (a coincidence that's not my fault). In my previous life I served as a pastor in South Carolina and Virginia for about 16 years. Now my wife, Denise, is the only pastor in our family and I'm the pastor's spouse. We have two sensational daughters, Allison and Carly who are 21 and 17.

Monday, October 09, 2006

60's Child

I grew up as a white male Baptist in the South during the 60s and 70s - during the days of integration and during the Viet Nam war. Both of these facts have impacted my life.

I was blessed to have two parents who had move beyond much of the racism that plagued our region and were courageous in their words and actions. they were willing to work with people and this was especially seen in their work - both educators. The schools were the main front in the segreation battle and we needed progressive people willing to stand up for the rights of everyone in the community to a decent education. This attitude was pretty non-conformist. It was, in historic perspective, countercultural, in fact in some circles it still is. We have a long way to go if we are ever going to create a society in the US that sees liberty and justice and dignity for all.

The Viet Nam war also was a major influence. My heros were the students marching in the streets, challenging the actions of our national leaders -saying things like "Never trust anyone over 30." I'm way past 30 but I still admire the marchers, the non-conformist the students in the streets who "distrust authorities." I am continually amazed at how we repeat the same mistakes we make in the past. How our government continues to present itself as being of such high principles, a leader of the free world, herald of democracy and then relies on lies and violence to accomplish its aims. We will never gain respect in the world until we can actually live up to the high ideals we profess. Liberty, justice and dignity for all - even those in other lands.
Even when it may not be in our own national interests but it is in their national or even personal interest. So many of our actions are driven by economic interests but cloaked in the language of our ideals. I think the world may be catching on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home